Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Twice Baked Potato



Nothing tastes better than a big ol' potato that came out of the oven! The microwave has nothing on the oven. Twice baked potatoes take me back to high school when in Foods, we learned how to make them. My best friend Kristin and I would would make them when we would spend the night at each other's homes. Yeah, we though we were cool...and we are! I got this recipe for Alicia Silverstone's book, "The Kind Diet" and it's so delicious and filling even my meat loving husband enjoys it!






Twice Baked Potato Stuffed with Broccoli


  • 2 baking potatoes

  • 2 tsp olive oil

  • 2 cloves minced garlic

  • 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (I don't have this spice so I don't use it)

  • broccoli (I use 1 1/2 bunches)

  • 1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash the potato and wrap in aluminum foil. Prick the potato with a knife a few times. Bake for 60 minutes.


To a medium saucepan, add the oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Saute for 1 minute on medium heat. Add the broccoli and stir for 30 seconds. Add the water, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.


When the potato is cool enough to handle, cut it in half lengthwise. Scoop out the inner part, leaving 1/4 inch of the potato on the skin. Add the pulp to the broccoli, blending with a fork until combined. Okay this is where I turn this vegan recipe into a vegetarian one with the addition of sour cream and milk. I add a couple of scoops of sour cream and a splash of milk and blend it with my hand mixer. Refill the potato shells with the mixture. Place the stuffed potato halves back into the oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.


I also made some homemade gnocchi. It's just potatoes, flour, and an egg. It's super easy to make and tastes a lot like a dumpling. I added some leftover spaghetti sauce and called it a meal!
















No comments:

Post a Comment