Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Scrooge

A few days ago my husband woke up early to go to Wal-Mart to buy cereal and milk. Apparently we were out. I awoke to the sound of what sounded like a cat attacking a piece of paper. We don't own a cat so I leaned over the banister to see what was making that sound. It was Nathan, wrapping Christmas presents.

Cute, right? Well we had our Christmas shopping done weeks ago and there wasn't a need to wrap any presents because they're all under the tree. Nathan, attempting to be sneaky, bought me a Christmas present while out buying breakfast.

It was pretty obvious what they were. A couple of plates and bowls and a big box that I was assuming was a new set of dishes. Did I ask for these, no. But when Nathan came with me shopping one day, we came across them and he went on and on about how we needed bigger bowls for cereal and how this set was really cool and different looking. Yep, he bought this for me???

It really was a sweet gesture, but on Black Friday he bought me a Nikon camera. We decided that this camera would be my Christmas present and that's all I needed. He bought himself a new Xbox game and a bigger memory thingy for the Xbox and that was his Christmas present and he didn't need anything else. So you can see why I was freaking out a little about this Christmas present.

Needless to say, I convinced him to return it. We "fought" about it for a few days. He says I deserve presents and I say we can't afford it. He should feel lucky to have a wife who doesn't want to spend every cent he makes! We did compromise and left the 2 plates/2 bowls under the Xmas tree. That way we both can have a "special" place setting, but seriously we didn't need a whole new set AND I just saved him $43!

Sooo, maybe the day before this Christmas present disaster I let my inner shopaholic let loose and bought some underwear and a pair of sweatpants that say ARMY on them at Victoria Secret's. $75 worth of crap that fits into a tiny pink bag. I instantly felt the guilt once I got home and told Nathan that I would be returning them but he insisted that I keep them...that I deserve them and they could be a Christmas present from him. We argued for a few days about returning them or not. I finally won and we returned them at the crazy mad house called the mall today...I'll be getting my $75 back in 5-7 business days.

Maybe I am a scrooge...

I'd rather be a scrooge than a hypocrite! January 1st starts our Dave Ramsey Makeover and I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that we don't need in the last few days of December because we can't in January.

I can't wait until Christmas is over! Bah humbug!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait until it is over either. We didn't get anything for each other this year. And if my hubby tried getting me something I'd make him take it back too.

    ReplyDelete