Friday, January 7, 2011

Vanity Sizes


Has anyone noticed over the past couple of years how clothes are getting bigger? Or, maybe I should reword this...has anyone noticed how you can now fit into a size medium? No, we're not all magically getting skinnier and can fit into smaller sizes-it's this new "idea" that the clothing industry came up with to make bigger people feel better about fitting into a size 10 instead of 12 and buying more clothes.


I mentioned bigger people. I'm not calling anyone fat because vanity sizing is throughout all sizes. Maybe you wore a size 5 in jeans and can now fit into a size 3. I'm saying "bigger" than what the lie on the tag is saying we are. Please don't think I'm coming off rude...I hope you all know what I'm trying to say.


Is vanity sizes bad?


I'll be honest, when I see that I can fit into a size 8 instead of my usual size 10...I'm pretty happy. But then reality sets in, and when I try a size 8 on in another store and it won't fit over my hips...I'm depressed.




We all know that the majority of Americans are overweight, so why do we need to lie about our true size?




You can't just walk into a store and buy something anymore, you're always going to have to try it on now. I wish all stores came together and decided on what sizing they're going to use. Wouldn't it be nice to wear a medium in every store? (One way to actually know the size you're getting is to buy a pair of pants that are measured by waist/inseam. I wear a size 30/32).

So, is it bad? I don't know, you be the judge.


Vanity sizing doesn't stop with clothing-have you noticed your feet can fit into a smaller sized shoe?Mine do. Since high school I've always worn a size 10 (huge right?). Yes, I have survived all the name calling and joking around. Wearing a big shoe size never bothered me (okay, maybe bigger shoe sizes doesn't have as many options as say a size 8). A couple of years ago, when I was shoe shopping I was very surprised that a size 10 was HUGE for my feet. I can now fit into a 9-9.5. Weird. Are we really that vain about shoe sizes?


What are your thoughts about vanity sizes?




No comments:

Post a Comment