Tuesday, July 27, 2010

It's hot out, drink some water!

You've heard it before, drinking eight 8-oz glasses of water everyday is good for you and you're suppose to do it! I've never really set out to drink exactly 64oz of water everyday. I just drink when I'm thirsty. Well, I was curious yesterday and decided to try it.

Now remember, I don't really drink anything else but water. Sometimes I'll have a glass of Kool-aid or sweet tea, maybe even a soda but this is rare. When I woke up yesterday morning, I came downstairs to the sink. I grabbed a plastic pitcher and my measuring cup. I filled my measuring cup up enough times to equal 64oz. It didn't even fill my small pitcher (this is good news). I pour myself a glass of water and put the pitcher in the fridge.

I didn't force myself to drink it, I just drank how I normally would. Turns out I finished my pitcher of water without any problems. Maybe you too should try this. It wouldn't hurt to find out exactly how much water you really do drink in a day. This isn't going to hurt you, it's water...you know that substance that like 60% of your body is made up of.

Yes, I get my water from the tap. Some of you might think this is disgusting, but our water tastes just fine. Back home, our water is gross so I would suggest buying a water filter for your tap water. Just depends on your taste. I would NOT buy expensive bottles of water. That's just ridiculous! You might think that they are more convenient, but you can go spend $5 on a nice reusable water bottle (you can buy these anywhere). They even have fancy ones with built in filters, but they cost more. Let's rid the Earth from plastic bottles and think of smarter and "greener" options.

Did you know that drinking ice cold water can help you burn calories? Yeah, I didn't know that either until my husband told me (I'll be honest, I didn't believe him at first). After doing a bit of research, you can burn around 70 calories from drinking your 64oz of ice cold water.

Let's say you give this a try, and you're not able to drink all that water. What does that mean. You know, maybe you don't need all that water. Maybe you have a smaller frame and your body doesn't need that much to help it function properly. Maybe you live a more sedentary lifestyle, there are tons of maybes...if you're really concerned, talk to your doctor. I say, as long as your pee isn't bright yellow (meaning your dehydrated) you'll be fine.

1 comment:

  1. I must have been really thirsty today because I drank more than 64oz of water!

    ReplyDelete