Friday, July 23, 2010

You don't have to be a Scene girl to wear a bow!

I'm 27 and can rock a hair bow! Emma's 4 and looks super cute with bows in her hair. My middle-schoolers make hair bows look cool. We're not Scene. Well, maybe some of my middle-schoolers are, but not all!



Making your own hair bows can be fun and rewarding. Teenagers enjoy designing their own and feel proud to wear their creations. Moms love the fact that you can make 10 bows to the price of 1 store-bought bow, and little girl's feel like princesses wearing them. Me and Emma knocked out these 4 bows this rainy afternoon. It took less than 2 hours. I wish I had a better camera so you could see them in more detail (I'm saving up for a new one).



All it takes is a pair of scissors, a ruler, a lighter, ribbon, alligator clip, and a glue gun. Most of us have these things lying around the house. Alligator clips...maybe not. You can get a huge box of them for $5 at Sally's (I recommend the double prong). There are sooo many different kinds of bows to make and the Internet is a great place to look up free tutorials! My favorite website is http://www.girlythingsbow.com/ Her site offers step by step instructions for beginner type bows to the boutique style bows.



If you come across a rainy afternoon and don't know what to do...try making your own bows. They're fun to wear and make freakin' awesome gifts for babies and toddlers! If you get really good at making these, you can start selling and making some money off these babies. Maybe you're not all that crafty but think these are super cute and want to buy them. STOP! Before you go run out to Gymboree and pay $8 for one of these, check on craigslist to see if a local makes bows. Usually you can get a custom made bow for dirt cheap (plus you feel better helping someone out and not giving your money to big corporations :) ) If you don't have craigslist, try etsy.com This site lets people sell their handmade creations to buyers directly. It's pretty neat, check it out.

4 comments:

  1. EVERYBODY seems to be making bows now days. to bad that i dont have any girls to make them for. I decided to make my own baby gifts though, and have made a couple hundred bucks selling them. I'm enjoying the blog and cant wait for the detergent and cleaning supplies report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work with selling homemade gifts! It's fun to make your own things, keeps ya busy, and it's always nice to get paid for it! I wish I knew how to sew, it's been a lost art in my family when both grandmothers passed away. I plan on doing a couple of no-sew projects (if they work) that I'll share with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I should have said scene...kids today and all their fancy clothing looks, music tastes, and crazy hair and makeup.

    ReplyDelete