Friday, August 13, 2010

Veggies vs Animals

For the past few weeks I have been flirting with the idea of becoming a vegetarian or even a vegan. I want to start eating healthy and I don't really see how eating a slab of beef is being good to my body. I'm trying this whole "green" thing and I feel vegetarianism is just part of it.

I remember I tried being a vegetarian for one year while in college. I did it, although my reasons for doing that wasn't to help the Earth and save animals and make my body into a lean, mean, leaf eating machine. Basically, I didn't want to eat the nasty food they served in the dorms. I didn't really change my eating habits either...I just ate other crap that didn't contain meat.

If I start this, I want to do it the right way. I want to eat food that is healthy and looks beautiful and makes me want to eat it! I want to incorporate those weird ingredients that they have in health food stores (and even at Wal-Mart). Flax seed...what's that? I don't know but I want to eat it along with tofu, whole grains, hummus, and organic foods. I want to cut out salt,sugar, and other overly processed crap! I feel so guilty when I put this crap in my body (even though it tastes good) and I know it does nothing for me but makes me fatter!

I know this is going to be a challenge. I've always been a meat and potatoes kind of girl so I'm going to have to learn how to love eating veggies and learn to try things I've never tried before. And somehow I'm going to have to get Nathan on board with me!

I have some motivation lined up. There are a couple of books I want to get (I'm too cheap to buy them new so I'm looking at second hand shops and the internet) and a couple of DVD's I plan on renting through Netflix. I'm sure I can always call up my friend Jenny who has been a vegetarian for a long time and give me some advice and recipes. If you have any advice, recipes, questions, concerns, comments...please let me know! I'd love to hear it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm all about it! I still eat more crap than I should, but have gotten much better in recent years at incorporating lots of the good stuff. I also started running again and I've found that motivates me to eat better too. Let me know if you have questions or want recipes for anything...we just made a Sweet Green Curry with tofu last night..mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. when i tried to be vegan for a while, i use to listen to podcasts from compassionatecooks.com. the lady is a complete nutcase, but there's some good info on combining foods for maximum nutrient absorption and some yummy recipes too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just watched Food Inc. last night. It's pretty disgusting how the major food corporations treat animals. I really don't want to eat an animal that's been standing knee deep in about 1,000 other animal's fecal matter! GROSS! I was making a salad today and even washed my bagged lettuce because I don't want to die from E. Coli (we had a friend who was EXTREMLY ill in the hospital and had no idea what was wrong. Turns out it was a rare from of E. Coli. We never found out the cause).

    ReplyDelete