Thursday, August 26, 2010

Bacon Popovers



It's been awhile since I posted a recipe on here, so I thought that's what I'm going to blog about today. Popovers are super easy, super inexpensive, and super yummy. As some of you might know, I'm trying to go vegetarian. It's a slow process but so far I've been red meat free for over a week and pork free for a few days. My biggest challenge is going to be going poultry free (I love me some chicken).


Okay, so these are bacon popovers...you can use bacon or turkey bacon or leave the bacon out and add in veggies (onion and green pepper might be nice).


Bacon Popovers


2 eggs

1 cup milk

1 Tablespoon vegetable oil

1 cup flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 slices of bacon (cooked and crumbled)

shredded cheese of your choice (cheddar is yummy)


Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Spray your muffin tin with some nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl mix your eggs, milk, and vegetable oil. Add in your flour, salt, bacon, and cheese and mix until everything is combined. Yeah, I know I didn't tell you how much cheese to use. I use a handful or two (we like cheese) but maybe you don't love cheese as much as I do so only use a handful. Pour the batter into your muffin tins and bake for 25-30 minutes.
***tip*** Sometimes I cook 4 pieces of turkey bacon (in microwave for crispiness) and use 3 in the batter and after I pour the batter in the muffin tin, I take the 4th piece of bacon a crumble it on top of each popover.


***tip***When they're done in the oven I usually pop them out of the muffin tin so they don't stick. They usually come out with no effort but every now and then I get a stubborn one and have to go around it with a knife.


These are great for breakfast on the go! I put them in a freezer bag and freeze them. When you want one, pop it in the microwave for 30-45 seconds. You usually can't eat just one.

No comments:

Post a Comment