Friday, September 10, 2010

Vegan Corn Bread

So what happens when you haven't gone to the grocery store in over a week and it's time for dinner??? You improvise, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. In this case, it worked!

We're getting ready to move so I've been trying to use up all the food in the freezer and fridge. I'm doing a good job of this except we've run out of things we use everyday, like milk, bread, and eggs. I didn't realize this until it was too late.

I planned on making Emma and myself some turkey steaks and green beans for dinner but I wanted some bread to go along with it and guess what, Emma ate the last piece of bread for lunch so I thought I would make some corn bread (I have a huge bag of corn meal just sitting in my pantry). So I start measuring out all my dry ingredients and then I read that I need milk and an egg. Crap! I don't have milk or eggs. So I started improvising and this is what I came up with.

Vegan Corn Bread
  • 1 cup corn meal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 TBL sugar
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup vanilla soy milk
  • 1 heaping TBL applesauce
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 425. In a large bowl, mix all your dry ingredients. Add your milk, applesauce, and oil. Beat for about 1 minute, until the batter is fairly smooth. Pour into greased 9in cake pan or 8in square dish and bake for 18-20 minutes.

This corn bread is fairly sweet and really moist! I'm not a big fan of dry corn bread with no taste (like Cracker Barrel's corn muffins). This also was the biggest piece of corn bread I've ever had. It's easily double the thickness of a store bought mix. For the non vegans, adding a big dollop of butter and honey would make this even better...which I did and enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment